8½ reasons to celebrate
Best selling children’s writer Piers Torday shares 8½ reasons to join our birthday party in March.
This year on Thursday 7 March, the Ministry of Stories – of which I am a proud Trustee – will celebrate 8½ years of existence. We’ll be doing this in our time-honoured fashion of hosting an amazing party, with a delicious banquet, games galore, a notoriously demanding quiz from co-founder Nick Hornby and most importantly of all, a showcase of the inspirational work produced by our young writers.
It’s going to be a great night, and we’d love you to come.
We’d really love you to come.
But, why should you? Well, here are 8½ reasons why:
1. There is only ONE party like it. No-one else we know celebrates their 8½ birthday, and no-one celebrates a birthday like us. Where else will you see celebrated authors, poets, performers and business leaders gathered together to celebrate and showcase the imaginative genius of the next generation – our children.
2. If you get TWO questions right, you’re doing well. Call yourself a quizzer? Fancy yourself a trivia buff? You have not been tested until you have faced a Nick Hornby quiz. Beat my record of two correct answers and I’ll buy your table an extra bottle.
3. I’ve been THREE times. The first time changed my life. It was so inspiring, I decided to get involved with the Ministry as a Trustee. Will it change your life?
4. It’s just FOUR hours of your life. But your generosity could help us deliver over 4000 hours of volunteer mentoring support, and over 40 speeches by children to Members of Parliament in the House of Commons!
5. One in FIVE parents in London struggle with literacy and are not able to read confidently with their children. We can help them. YOU can help them. By coming to our party.
6. There are at least SIX very scary monsters who rely on us for their regular supply of dragon treats, earwax and petrified mice from Hoxton Street Monster Supplies. And trust me, you don’t want to upset them.
7. If you can’t make it, why not send us a present instead. Just SEVEN pounds a month could support a young person struggling to find writing inspiration to become a published author – donate here.
8. If you can make it, why not take a VIP table of EIGHT guests? You get 8 of the best seats in the house, special thanks in event programme, our limited edition 8 ½ birthday poetry anthology, AND 3 quiz cheats!
½. You’ve got a half a chance here to make a real difference in this world. So, will you?