To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Ministry of Stories teamed up with BBC History and comedy writer-performer Gem Carmella to help young people create new comedy sketches inspired by Monty Python’s irreverent style.
This pack is for teachers and youth workers, to help you use Monty Python’s Flying Circus and our young people’s original comedy to inspire other young writers, and introduce them to comedy writing.
For Key Stages 2 & 3
Ages 9 – 14
This resource covers:
• Intro to comedy writing
• Creating comic characters
• Analysing comedy sketches
• Writing a short sketch
• Creating silly worlds
We recommend leading these activities in a session
of 1.5 – 2 hours, but they can be spread out.
You will need:
• General writing materials
• Worksheets (below) enough for one per student
• A board – to display key words and themes as they come up
• Audio-visual equipment